Keep your mouth shut, my dear
COVID-19 VS BDSM.
A submissive man wants to serve his mistress, but he is also a clean-freak with germ phobia. He is worried when having a session, "Is my tongue clean?"
This is a story about human suffering.
How a BDSM lover figures out their fetish during a pandemic...
We filmed this project in Japan when it had a declaration of a state of emergency. Minimum cast and staff, with one day of filming. The location is in one club in Tokyo, which also had shut down because of the pandemic.
Currently Lily Rinae finished a documentary "Born Balearic" in Ibiza, Spain. The movie is nominated in 11 film festivals which include Chelsea IFF in NY, Seeyousound in Italy and Doc'n roll festival in London. The film won "Best Sound feature" in Indie Memphis, and "Best Cinematography" in Madrid.
Her strong passion is making movies about music and....BDSM.
During COVID-19, she moved back to her original country Tokyo and is following her real passion. Her films focus on physical expression of passion and emotion.
Interview questions from Eleni Tongidou
1. From the opening scene we enter a sound atmosphere which is at once vibrant and penetrating. As a viewer I immediately connected to the sounds which act as acoustic stimuli. What is the role of sound in this film?
In my film, sound is one of the main subjects. It's not just a part of making a movie elegant or gorgeous, sound can be a primary character as well. I'll tell you a secret, the scene of a woman slurping ramen - those sounds are all a voiceover by me. I recorded it while I was slurping cup noodles at home. We did not hire a sound-recordist because of Covid-19 or just a budget problem.
2. I relished watching this film refer to Covid19, approaching it with astute humor and irony. As constructs, BDSM and Covid19 meet at interplay. A parallel is drawn; relative to the body both express through non-naturalized, constrained ways. Something that within the bdsm framework is considered liberating as it goes beyond the normative. Was a comparative dynamic between the two obvious to you?
Wow, I never thought of that. It's an interesting consideration. Love it. The way I see it is, the world of BDSM and the world with Covid-19 situations are on the same layer.
After the pandemic, there were so many rules everywhere and now our lives are controlled by them. Then I realized as a BDSM lover, this situation is very close to BDSM, discipline, rules and following orders.
The human race destroys the earth's discipline more than any other species in history. And in the end, the Earth punishes humans as a result of this human behavior.
Covid-19 trained us. It's like the film is saying, "Welcome to the BDSM stage, world. Fetish lovers are used to it."
3. In ‘Keep your mouth shut, my dear’ the perceived notion of Covid19 is communicated through simulacra; images which compose our understanding of reality. Largely our exposure to the disease has been through media representation and our understanding of the virus could change according to the imagery mediated. Additionally, as viewers we are looking at these images not as static perceptions but rather as active representations of the characters’ way of feeling and experiencing of themselves. In the end, the film shows the submissive character wearing a mask, however his mouth is left exposed. We can see him smiling. What does this scene communicate in your opinion?
"All the matter of this world is play. If you think so…" This is the written text at the end of film. What follows this line is "Any difficulty can be solved."
I believe that dialog makes people relieve worries. Do not need to take it seriously, it's just life.
4. The written text on the film is appearing in three languages. You work between countries and
have an international following. Does having a diverse audience influence your work?
I do some collage in my work. Taking all different pieces and making them into a beautiful art. Image, sound, color, angle, composition even written text could be a part of an art. The taste is mainly eclectic. I am happy that my work crosses over the border and reaches all diverse audiences. If someone sent me a love-letter, that would make my day. However it does not influence me.
5. What is new and upcoming for you? What are your plans for the future?
I just started writing scripts for a BDSM documentary. There are two main characters, one is a woman who will work as a mistress, I am looking for a mistress who is in the making and is practicing to be a professional. The camera follows her training and watches her growth process.
The other character is a 72 year old elderly submissive man who is looking for his successor and who will take over his masochism. The elderly man will teach a young masochist how to worship his mistress and how he should be as a submissive.
Japan has three world famous Shibari(Kinbaku) masters, those characters will appear too.
I made a documentary film about music in 2020.
I would like to share my film subjects setlists. I have been listening to his set for 10 years.
①Listening to Jon Sa Trinxa…
...on Saturday morning, when you're hung over and have chores to do, but can feel the warm afterglow of last night
②Listening to Jon Sa Trinxa...
...on a lazy Sunday, cuddling with warm cookies and the sun dappling through the windows
③Listening to Jon Sa Trinxa...
...on a cozy, rainy afternoon, seeing the umbrellas bloom in the road like flowers
④Listening to Jon Sa Trinxa...
...when you're blending a smoothie to start Monday fresh
⑤Listening to Jon Sa Trinxa...
...when you're lying in bed with the moon, and the world is sleepy and dreamy
Hand-picked short films and interviews with filmmakers.
Free streaming (for a limited time) and 5 questions answered by the filmmakers.
Interviews will be up permanently and streaming of films will be up monthly
GRRL HAUS keeps all of our online features free to view, read and enjoy. But we gladly accept any donations to keep our project going. If you would like to donate to us - please visit our Gofundme page. Any amount helps - oh also if you donate more than 40 you get GRRL HAUS t-shirt
Do you want to contribute to Gimme 5?
Do you want to watch short films?
Do you want to ask 5 questions to the filmmakers?
Give us an email at email@example.com
subject line : Gimme 5